Kevin Castner: Superintendent Search Consultant

The search for a new superintendent started after the news that Montgomery County Public Schools superintendent, Brenda Blackburn, decided to resign and will be stepping down from her position Oct. 1. She has served as superintendent for five years and has recently approved the controversial decision to switch the high school and elementary schools start times. This situation will leave the new superintendent with a mess to clean up.

Montgomery County Public Schools has recently hired Kevin Castner to be the interim school chief and superintendent headhunter. Castner is highly qualified, having served as superintendent in Albemarle County for eleven years, the deputy superintendent at Frederick County (M.A.) for eight years, and currently as headhunter for two school systems in Virginia. Kevin Castner is set to be paid $576.72 per day that would add up to $150,000 for a year. This amount total is very similar to Brenda Blackburn’s current salary of $151,500, she had an original salary of $150,000 five years ago when she was first hired. It is unclear whether or not Castner with apply for the Montgomery County superintendent job. According to Roanoke Times, Brenda Drake can not say if Castner is a candidate at this time.

The MCPS superintendent search is being conducted by HYA Executive Search, which is based out of the Chicago area. HYA Executive has already made major leeway in the search setting up documents to help the county narrow down the search. In recent school board meetings there has been several resource documents written including superintendent characteristic guideline, a job description, and a leadership profile report. These documents are available at http://www.mcps.org/cms/One.aspx?portalId=92248&pageId=4724046 .
The county plans on naming the new superintendent on Nov. 12. One of the first issues on the agenda could very well be the issue with the schools schedules. This situation will be a factor in the decision for the new superintendent.