Eight Athletes End Their Recruitment on National Signing Day

Back to Article
Back to Article

On Wednesday, February 6, eight Seniors signed their National Letters of Intent to join college athletic programs during the signing day ceremony in the auditorium.

The eight Seniors are Drew Babcock, Cole Epperley, Jacob Lucas, Anna Kender, Sam Dickinson, Ben Carroll, Jake Duncan, and Melody Scales. Babcock, Epperley, and Lucas are all committed to play college football; Kender is committed to a track and field program; Dickinson is joining a soccer program; Carroll and Duncan are signing with golf programs; and Scales is joining a volleyball program.

Drew will play football at William & Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia. The reigning River Ridge District Defensive Player of the Year was named first team All-Timesland his senior season and had 77 tackles. William & Mary recruited Babcock to play linebacker.

Cole will play for Averett University in Danville, Virginia. He played middle linebacker and wide receiver for the Bruins, and he was a major contributor on defense for the Bruins this past season. He will play linebacker at Averett.

“Cole loves competing. He hates to lose. Cole goes 100 miles per hour every play and has a knack for finding the ball carrier. Averett University has got themselves a great football player,” said Coach Sloss.

Jacob will attend Ferrum College in Ferrum, Virginia. As an offensive lineman for the Bruins, he has exceeded at protecting the quarterback and run blocking. Lucas will switch to the defensive end position at Ferrum.

“Jacob Lucas was the lone returning starter on the offensive line from the 2017 team. He has a quiet, lead-by-example leadership style, but he is vocal when he needs to be. I talked to Ferrum head coach Rob Grande and I asked him what position Jacob would play, and he said defensive end. I thought that was a good call because with his movement, and the knowledge and skill that he possesses, it won’t take him long to see the field,” said Sloss.

Anna is a Senior on the Blacksburg track and field team and holds the school pole vaulting record. She will attend Bucknell University in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania.

“She’s the kind of athlete where, when you tell her to do something, she’s all smiles and goes out and does it at 100%. She’s exactly the type of athlete that we look for, especially to lead the younger athletes on the track,” said Track and Field Coach Brandon Bear.

Ben will play golf at Charleston Southern University in Charleston, South Carolina. In 2018, Ben was named to the All-Timesland Golf first team and was the River Ridge District player of the year.

“Ben’s been with our program for five years. He’s a four-year starter, he’s been instrumental for the program, and he’s gotten better every year. He’s our go-to guy, and he’s the most consistent player we’ve had these past four years. He was instrumental in our two state championships. He’s a great young man, I love him to death, and I wish him all the best at Charleston Southern,” said Golf Coach Rickey Mattox.

Jake will play at Maryville College in Maryville, Tennessee. Jake was named to the All-Timesland Golf second team in 2018.

“We had a situation in 2016 where one of our better golfers couldn’t make it to the state tournament, so I took Jake down, and he was the reason we won. He went out the first day and shot an 80 in really rough conditions. He kept us in the tournament. Jake is an outstanding young man, and I’m going to miss him,” said Mattox.

Sam will play soccer at Christopher Newport University in Newport News, Virginia. Sam is a talented, versatile player who scored the winning goal in the 2018 state championship and finished the game with two goals.

Melody will join the volleyball program at Xavier University of Louisiana. Melody was a great defender and leader for the Bruins volleyball team and was a team captain her senior year.

These Seniors have bright futures ahead of them, both in their academic studies and in their respective sports.