Indoor Track Kicks Off Their 2018-19 Season

On Monday, November 5, the Indoor Track team kicked off the 2018-19 season.  Fresh out of placing at states in Indoor and Outdoor Track last year, the team has their eyes set on taking the first place trophy home this season.

“We didn’t win states last year,” said Claire Stanaland, sophomore, “but we’ve got another chance to do that this year.”

Following the graduation of many pivotal athletes in the Track and Field Program last year, such as Cole Beck and Solomon Ghosh, many people have speculated that the team will not perform as well this year.

”People like Cole and Solo were like the heart and soul of the team.  They won a lot of points for our team at meets, so this year might play out differently without them,” said Sam Baker, sophomore.

This may not be the case according to Bri Tabor, sophomore.

“A lot of people are worried that we won’t do really well this year because a lot of the best athletes have graduated, but there’s still lots of talent on the team,” said Tabor.

Regardless of how this season plays out, the boys and girls track teams are still eager for competition season to start again.

“I’m super excited for indoor this year… I can’t wait to pick up from where I left off last season,” said Grace Reynolds, sophomore.

Last year, Reynolds competed at states in the 300m and 4×400 as a freshman.  She placed 7th in the 300m, and set the 9th best time in the 300m in BHS Indoor Track history, running a 43.24.  

“This season I’m hoping to make it to states again and improve more in the 300,” said Reynolds. “I’ve been working really hard and I hope it pays off.”

While the majority of last season’s team will be making a return to the track this season, the absence of freshmen on the team has been concerning to some people.

“I’ve been doing preseason for about a month now, and there haven’t been any freshmen at practice.  I don’t know if they are just unaware that [Indoor Track] is starting or if they just don’t want to do it,” said Eden Marquis, sophomore.

Marquis states the importance of freshmen on the team, saying that after the seniors graduate, there will need to be people on the team that can step up and fill the void left from the graduates.

Reynolds also encourages freshmen to join the team, saying that it’s a great opportunity to make new friends and find something they’re passionate about.

“I love the environment, long road trips, and staying up late with the whole team.  I feel like it brings us all together, and I would 100% recommend doing it,” said Reynolds.

For all of those interested, the official season starts Monday, November 5, and the only requirement to join the team is a VHSL physical.