Georgia Tech Steamrolls Virginia Tech

On October 25 the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets rushed for a staggering 465 yards, and leveled the Virginia Tech Hokies 49-28.

It was a catastrophic night for the Hokies defense. They allowed seven rushing touchdowns, which is the most allowed under longtime Hokies defensive coordinator Bud Foster and the most allowed by a Hokies defense since 1973.

Foster was disappointed with the defensive effort.

“Today we weren’t able to catch up to it at all and that’s the disappointing part of it,” said Foster following the loss. “We had some guys that I thought could be in a position to make a play and I thought, like I said, I thought they dominated the line of scrimmage, which doesn’t happen against us very often in my career here.”

Virginia Tech defensive lineman Ricky Walker commented on the defense’s inability to stop the rush.

“Quarterback sweep, man,” said Walker to the Roanoke Times. “They just overload and it seemed like they had more blockers than we had people. Just a new wrinkle every year against these guys that we couldn’t adjust to.”

Virginia Tech fans were also unhappy with how their hometown team performed.

“Our defense is too young and immature. That really showed during the game,” said Jordan Frith, junior.

“We’re trash. That was an awful game; our defense was useless and we seemed unprepared,” said Benjamin Gratz, freshman at Virginia Tech.

Last year, the Hokies lost to the Yellow Jackets on the road and were torched by their passing game. This year, the Hokies were battered in a completely different way. Freshman quarterback Tobias Oliver, who was making his starting debut for the Yellow Jackets, only dropped back twice and attempted one pass that fell incomplete. They instead used a rushing attack that yielded an astounding six yards per attempt and led to 35 first downs.

The Hokies’ lack of starting experience on defense is coming back to haunt them. Over the past year the Hokies lost eight defensive starters from the previous year: Tremaine Edmunds, Terrell Edmunds, Tim Settle, Andrew Motuapuaka, Greg Stroman, Adonis Alexander, Mook Reynolds, and Trevon Hill.

• Brothers Tremaine and Terrell Edmunds both decided to forgo their senior years and enter the NFL Draft, where they were both drafted in the first round by the Buffalo Bills and Pittsburgh Steelers, respectively
  • Tim Settle decided to waive his final two years at Virginia Tech, and was drafted in the fifth round of the NFL Draft by the Washington Redskins
  • Andrew Motuapuaka and Greg Stroman both graduated and entered the NFL Draft. Stroman was drafted by the Washington Redskins in the seventh round
  • Adonis Alexander was ruled academically ineligible for his senior season, and entered the NFL Supplemental Draft where he was selected in the sixth round by the Washington Redskins
  • Mook Reynolds was dismissed by the team in July, and Trevon Hill was dismissed by the team following their loss to Old Dominion earlier this season

These departures have left the defense thin, inexperienced, and disjointed. The Hokies are now 4-3, and have lost the top spot in the ACC Coastal to UVA, a team that they have beaten every year for the past 14 years. If they want to beat them this year, the defense has to be better.

The Hokies play Boston College at Lane Stadium on November 3, and it will prove to be a critical game for a reeling Hokies team.