Boys Volleyball Begins at BHS

Photo via Wikimedia Commons under Creative Commons license

A defining aspect of Blacksburg High School is its encouragement of diversity in students, and now there’s another sport to serve as an outlet for individual’s interests. Men’s volleyball will be noncompetitive, meaning it won’t compete in official games. However there might be a chance for players to compete after the club season.

Nicole Kessner and Tyler Jump, coaches of the varsity women’s team, are looking forward to coaching the men’s team this year and want to keep increasing support for the team in the next few years.

“Our biggest goal in the next three or four years is to start a varsity sport; my goal this season is to get a couple competitive club teams by RVJ [River Valley Juniors] tryouts in October,” Nicole said.

The local club, RVJ, is comprised of only girls and recently took a team to Orlando, Florida, to Nationals, and Kessner wants to spread this success into future men’s teams.

Nicole was quick to say that any high schoolers can join, and even if some can’t make consecutive practices she still wants them to come out.

The club practices Mondays and Wednesdays 7-9 at the high school gym until the end of October with the possibility of a few Saturdays to make up for cancellations.

“We have a few guys that played last year, but most of the guys are new to the sport. There’s a lot of people looking to have fun and practices are very enthusiastic,” Nicole ended with, “Make sure you have a physical,” showing that even club sports must follow school policy.

Maybe the men’s team will take off like lacrosse did last year; Kessner hopes so.