Andre Ingram Makes Debut at 32 Years Old

With only two games left in the season and the playoffs well out of reach, the Los Angeles Lakers decided to call up the reserves to close the season. This is a huge opportunity for some of these players who have been waiting all season for their turn to step up. But for one of these players, this is the opportunity he has waited over 10 years for.

Andre Ingram is a 32-year-old shooting guard that has spent his entire professional career playing overseas and in the G-League. Ingram is the G-League’s leader in career three point shots made and shoots a blistering 46 percent from behind the arc. With 384 minor league games under his belt, the Lakers decided to give Ingram a shot by signing him to a 10-day contract.

Ingram subbed in early in the second quarter against the Rockets and did what he does best, let the threes fly. While playing 29 minutes in the game, Ingram scored 19 point while going 6-8 from the floor and only missing one three pointer.

“It was amazing,” Ingram said following the game. “The crowd and just being here, it was once in a lifetime.

Ingram was not the only one that was excited for his debut, he had the entire NBA fan base behind him when he went on the floor.

“I told him I heard about his story and that grind is unbelievable,” said Chris Paul, who, like Ingram, is 32. “I told him ‘much respect.’”

“When I heard Ingram was getting pulled up, I thought it was one of those feel good kinda things,” said Kade Wheeler, junior. “But that man can definitely play. I’m surprised he hadn’t gotten pulled up earlier.”

Ingram’s 19 points gives him the fourth highest scoring debut of any Laker ever. His performance was so impressive, he even started to receive “MVP” chants from the crowd as he stepped up to the free throw line in the final minutes. That’s a big accomplishment for any player, especially one that almost retired from basketball early in his career.

After going undrafted out of American University in 2007, Ingram was unsure whether he should pursue another profession with his physics degree. Ingram again thought about calling it a career when he had his first daughter in 2011. With a salary that never exceeded $30,000 a year, supporting a family of three became difficult and he had to find a part-time job as a math tutor to get by. However, Ingram stuck to the dream that had gotten him this far in basketball and eventually got the chance he had been grinding for.

“Ingram’s debut was the highlight of the season for me,” said Vedat Dilek, junior. “To see a man who grinded so much to get this far get ‘MVP’ chants gave me goosebumps.”

With only a two game guarantee in his contract, Ingram will be sent down to the minors at the end of the season. However, with the Ingram played in his debut, fans may see him in the league a little longer.