Zack Miller Suffers a Gruesome Knee Injury

On NFL Sunday, October 29, the Chicago Bears came to the Mercedes-Benz Superdome to face off against the red-hot New Orleans Saints who were fresh off a four-game win streak. Midway through the game as the Bears trailed 14-3 in the third quarter, Bears quarterback Mitch Trubisky threw a touchdown pass to Zach Miller who suffered a gruesome-looking knee injury after he made the reception. The touchdown would later be called back after referees reviewed the catch; however, Miller remained on the ground clutching his left knee. Team doctors immediately took him off the field in a stretcher and  rushed him to a nearby hospital in New Orleans.

The Bears announced two days later on October 31 that the injury would be season-ending and Miller had suffered a dislocated knee as well as a torn popliteal artery. A source told ESPN’s Chris Mortensen that the artery was found “shredded from above the knee joint to below the knee,”  and that surgeons took a saphenous vein graft from Miller’s good leg to repair the vascular damage.

During Bears head coach John Fox’s media availability on October 29, he announced surgeons were trying to save Miller’s leg from amputation:

“I think that’s always a concern,” coach John Fox said. “Our medical people did a great job as far as getting him there; they realized the problem immediately.”

USA Today reported that a high schooler who suffered a similar injury to Miller’s ended up having  his leg removed.

Since altitude and flying will prove to risk damaging Miller’s injury further, the tight end will have to stay in New Orleans for a little while:

“Obviously, with any kind of vascular issue, you don’t want altitude, you don’t want people flying around. He’ll have to remain still there for some time. He won’t be coming back to Chicago any time real soon,”  Fox.

Saints players, as well as Miller’s friends and family, have visited him in the hospital to keep him in good spirits:

“He was very appreciative of us thinking of him,” Saints tight end Michael Hoomanawanui said. “He was alert, and we were just talking like he was one of us. It was a cool 20 minutes or whatever we spent with him. I know he’s got a long road ahead … but it was good to see him.”

Zach Miller will surely be missed the rest of this season on his route to a hopeful recovery.