Philadelphia Eagles Earn An 8-1 Record

The Philadelphia Eagles routed the Denver Broncos (3-5) 51-23 at home in week nine to improve their record to 8-1.

The Eagles have only started 8-1 four times before, with the last occurrence in the 2004 season. As it happens, the Eagles reached the Super Bowl in all four of those seasons. Right now their chances of making it again look quite promising.

“We worked hard to be in this position, and we earned it,” said Eagles wide receiver Torrey Smith following the Broncos game. “And it’s just that: we’re 8-1 right now. We still have a long way to go, a lot of work to put in, and a lot of games to play. But we’re in a good spot right now.”

The Eagles have risen to prominence on the back of second-year quarterback Carson Wentz. So far this season, Wentz has 23 pass touchdowns, 2,262 passing yards, and a passer rating of 104.1. Right now he is the number-one quarterback in the league and has been considered a possibility for National Football League Most Valuable Player this season.

Though Wentz is having a phenomenal season so far, there’s much more to the Eagles team than just him. Head Coach Doug Pederson has been widely commended for his head coaching talents and ability to connect with the players.

“I think he’s doing a great job of demanding and allowing for players to have ownership of what we’re doing,” said Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins. “It’s not necessarily what he’s making us do. We all feel like this is our thing. We have input. He listens to the players. We’re listening to him. And we’re building this together. We’re building the kind of atmosphere that we always talk about. But he actually allows that to grow. For a young coach in this league, that’s usually the thing that comes last is to have this much faith and trust in the players and the leadership. But I think it’s given us an opportunity to really build a culture.”

Along with Pederson’s coaching is the Eagles’ steady passing game. Receivers Alshon Jeffery and Nelson Agholor have been putting up good numbers so far this season. Jeffery was traded to the Eagles prior to the 2017 season, and he has 500 yards on 34 receptions. Nelson Agholor, a 2015 first-round draft pick, has 428 yards on 29 receptions. Along with these receivers is tight end Zach Ertz. He missed the Broncos game with a hamstring injury but has put on a phenomenal performance with 528 yards on 38 receptions this season. These players have a combined 16 touchdowns and will continue to put in work for the Eagles in the latter half of the season.

Running backs LeGarrette Blount and Jay Ajayi have also been a great help to the Eagles. Blount was acquired by the Eagles preceding the 2017 season and has 504 rushing yards on 108 rush attempts with two touchdowns. Ajayi was acquired by the Eagles on October 31, and in his first game with the Eagles he rushed 77 yards on eight attempts with a touchdown.

Also doing well for the Eagles are Lane Johnson, an offensive tackle who has looked impressive this season; kicker Jake Elliott, who is 17 of 20 for field goals this season; and safety Malcolm Jenkins, who has 42 tackles on the season.

“They’re scary good. Wentz is an MVP candidate; they have Ajayi’s talent, and as a Steelers fan I am concerned about our postseason odds against them,” says Chris Marks, Senior.

The Eagles have outscored opponents by 114 points this season, and they are first in total yards and downs played. If they can continue to win, the Eagles will certainly be a formidable force in the postseason.