Is Drew Brees The G.O.A.T.?

After a spectacular comeback win in Super Bowl 51 over the Atlanta Falcons, Tom Brady seemed to have ended the discussion for the greatest of all time (G.O.A.T). However, New Orleans Saints quarterback, Drew Brees, may have something to say about that. Brees has one Super Bowl ring to his name and just 11 career playoff appearances, but his stats tell a different story.

According to ESPN, Brees currently has 67,763 career passing yards- a number within striking distance of Peyton Manning’s all-time career passing yardage record of 71,940. Brees’ 476 career passing touchdowns and 5,988 completions are both third most in NFL history. Brees has led the league in passing yards seven times during his career (Brady has twice). Since 2012 Brees has averaged a whopping 5,074.8 yards passing and 36.8 touchdowns per season. To give a sense of how significant 5,000 passing yards in a season is, the yardage mark has only been surpassed seven times, and four of them are by Brees.

“Drew Brees is by far the best statistical quarterback of all time,” said Jacob Mullins, Senior.

Being 38, if Brees decides to play for more seasons there is a very good chance he could break all of these records. Brees was quoted at training camp in 2014 stating he would like to play until he is 45.

“No doubt. There’s no question,” Brees said, in a private moment. “I’m not getting ahead of myself, like it’s a pipe dream, at 45. I understand the challenges that come along with that. But why not? If I can stay healthy, and I’m having fun and playing at a high level, why wouldn’t I wanna do that? The biggest challenge is physically, the maintenance, the recovery, the way you train. You gotta hope that you stay healthy, but why not?”

All of these aforementioned stats are higher than Brady’s, and Brady has been in the league a year longer than Brees has. One thing that Brees has had to deal with in his time playing with the New Orleans Saints is bad defenses. Since Brees joined the Saints in 2006, the team has finished outside of the bottom 10 in total defensive yards allowed just three times; in the 2012 season the Saints gave up the most yards in NFL history, yet Brees has still been able to carry his team to records no less than 7-9.

“With an average defense most of Brees’ career, he could’ve probably had even more rings than Brady.” said Solomon Ghosh, Senior.

If Brady had to play under these same circumstances it is hard to imagine him winning five Super Bowls. Going out on the field with the worst defense in the league would take its toll. Likewise, if Brees had been given the chance to play under New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick, it is hard to imagine him being held to 11 playoff appearances as a result of statistically supporting defenses.

Whether a player is the G.O.A.T or not is completely based on opinion; but Brees seems to have made his case to be in the conversation.