Gordon Hayward Suffers Gruesome Injury In Home Opener

Quicken Loans arena sat in dead silence as players, fans, and staff all watched Boston Celtics forward Gordon Hayward get rushed to the locker room after he suffered a devastating ankle injury early in the first quarter of the season opener. The medical staff were later able to determine Hayward had suffered a dislocated ankle and fractured tibia.

The injury came after Kyrie Irving threw Hayward an alley-oop pass, which resulted in Hayward landing awkwardly on his left leg. The officials stopped the game as soon as the injury became apparent. Celtics medical staff quickly moved Hayward onto a stretcher where they secured Hayward’s injury into an air cast.

“My mind was blown when Hayward went down. I think everyone’s mind was blown,” said junior Nathaniel Tuck, who attended the game. “The first thing I noticed was the reaction of the Cavs bench because they were the first ones to really see the injury. Nobody got a clear look at the injury because the arena never showed a replay, but everyone understood how serious it really was.”

After the injury, players of both teams condoled with teammates as Hayward was tended to by medical staff. Cavs star Dwyane Wade was on the court kneeling in prayer immediately after the injury. Cavs stars Isaiah Thomas and LeBron James were seen following Hayward to the locker room to show their support.

Many players across the league were on Twitter directly following the injury to show their support for Hayward.

“Hate to see @gordonhayward go down like that. I know he will be back stronger and wish him the best recovery possible,” said former Jazz teammate Rudy Gobert.

“God bless you bro @gordonhayward ! help him thru this god,” said Thunder star Paul George, who suffered a similar injury during a USA basketball scrimmage in 2014.

Agent Mark Bartelstein told reporters Hayward will need surgery, which will include inserting a plate and screws to stabilize Hayward’s ankle and tibia. It is unclear when Hayward is set to return and will most likely remain unclear until after surgery.

“It will be a real problem for the Celtics to move forward without Hayward. He was the captain of that ship,” said Henry Brunsma, junior. “Hayward made a difference on both offense and defense; that’s something that Irving won’t be able to do. I originally thought the Celtics could compete for a title this season, but I’m not to sure they can make it past the first round of the playoffs without Hayward.”

Hayward was among the largest free agency moves this offseason signing with the Celtics on a four-year, $128 million contract. Hayward became a seasoned veteran with the Utah Jazz and led them to a playoff berth and a solid second-round appearance against the Golden State Warriors. According to ESPN’s Bobby Marks, the Celtics will receive $8.4 million as an injury exception; however, it will still be difficult to fill the void left with Gordon Hayward out for an extended period of time.