Tom Brady: Future Hall-of-Famer?

Tom Brady was born on August 3rd, 1977 in Mateo, California, to Galynn Patricia and Thomas Edward Brady. As a kid Brady was eager to play football; however, his dad would not let him play till he was fourteen years old. He grew up a fan of the game, frequently attending 49ers games at Candlestick Park. Brady idolized then 49ers quarterback, Joe Montana, mentioning that he was his idol and inspiration to play the quarterback position. Brady attended football camps as a child at the College of San Mateo, where he learned to throw from future NFL quarterback Tony Graziani.

Brady went to Junipero Serra High School in San Mateo. He was very involved in the school’s athletics as he participated in football, basketball, and baseball. Brady started his football career as the backup quarterback on the Junipero High School Padres JV team. The Padres were 0-8 and had not scored a single touchdown all year. When the starting quarterback went down with an injury, Brady ascended to the starting quarterback position. He became the starting quarterback for varsity his junior year and kept the position until he graduated in 1995.

Brady had trouble getting on the radar of college coaches, so he put together highlight tapes from his varsity football games. When he was in the recruiting process, it was much different than it is today in that athletes’ rankings were not as prominent. He was rated as a 4-star quarterback, which is considered a high ranking. Brady gained interest from schools such as USC, Cal-Berkeley, Illinois, Michigan, and UCLA. He ultimately decided to attend Michigan.

Brady did not start at quarterback for Michigan until his junior year. His first two seasons were difficult, as he wasn’t getting much playing time. Brady had to hire a psychologist for his frustrations of not starting. In his first year as a starter for Michigan he threw for 2,427 yards and 14 touchdowns according to ESPN. In his senior year and final season at Michigan, he led the Michigan Wolverines to an Orange Bowl victory over Alabama in overtime.

Brady went on to the NFL in 2000. He was selected with the 199th pick in the NFL Draft that year by the New England Patriots. His friends and family gathered with him to watch the draft, and were confident that he would be taken in the second or third round. When six quarterbacks were taken above him, Brady was so embarrassed that he briefly exited the family home stating in a 60 Minutes interview that he cried thinking of having to be an insurance salesman if he didn’t get drafted. Brady finally received a call from Patriots owner Robert Kraft, telling Brady they were going to draft him and welcoming him to the team.

Tom Brady only played one game during his rookie season. During his second season in the NFL, the Patriots starting quarterback at the time, Drew Bledsoe, took a hit and suffered internal bleeding. As a result Tom Brady became the starter. Brady led the Patriots to a win in Super Bowl 36 over the St. Louis Rams. The rest of his career would produce four Super Bowls, three Super Bowl Most Valuable Player awards, 12 Pro Bowls, two League Most Valuable Player awards, 14 Division Championships, and 11 Conference Championship appearances according to NumberFire.com. His six Super Bowl appearances are the most by any player ever in the NFL, as stated by Bleacher Report. With all of these career accomplishments, it’s a safe bet to label Tom Brady as a future Hall-of-Famer and considered by experts as arguably the best quarterback of all time.