BHS Students Volunteer at Heritage Day

Photo by Whitney Welbaum

Photo by Whitney Welbaum

The Montgomery Museum hosted its annual Heritage Day festival on August 25.  The day was filled with fun festivities including live music and children’s crafts.  In addition, the museum also invited a number of local vendors and organizations to set up booths for the event.

Set up for the event began on Friday, August 24.  The museum director, Sue Farrar, invited BHS National Honors Society (NHS) members to volunteer.  Members worked on setting up tents and tables for the next day’s events.

“It was incredible to work with the Montgomery Museum and the other volunteers.  They were always energetic and positive, and everyone setting up had a lot of fun,” said Brynn Yaun, Senior.

The event opened promptly at 10:00 a.m. Saturday morning and was soon bustling with activity.  Some of the most popular booths included the silent auction and the children’s section. Ailene Edwards, Senior, volunteered with NHS at the event.   

The children’s section was made up of four main booths: tote bag decorating, digging for gold, mask making, and paper folding.  Children were given a “passport” to collect stickers for completing each booth to potentially earn a prize.

“I really enjoyed working at Heritage Day.  I was in charge of the “Dig for Gold” station for the kids and they were fun to interact with.  One of the kids loved the station so much and ended up with quite a big haul of “gold” by the end of the day,” said Edwards.

In addition, one of the most anticipated events was the pie cook-off.  The contestants could enter pies into one of three categories: savory, sweet, or child’s.  Each pie was sampled by a panel of judges who decided the winner of each category and cash money prizes.  

The overall, first-place winner was a savory pie, bacon cheddar with a potato crust.  The winner for the sweet category went to a pecan pie, and the winner of the children’s category was a tart raspberry pie.  

Other unique flavors entered in the competition included an aronia berry with black garlic pie and an apple cream cheese pie.  After the judging was finished and the winners were announced, samples of each of the pies were portioned out by NHS volunteers and were available for purchase.

“I’m glad I got to volunteer at Heritage Day because it was a really fun way to help others, and I got to learn about southwestern Virginia history and heritage at the same time,” said Erin Crawford, Senior.

Overall, Heritage Day was a huge success with a new record attendance, and all parties involved took away good memories from the experience.

¨We were all thrilled with the great turnout, our biggest ever, and were also so happy to welcome so many families to the museum! A huge thank you goes to the students in the NHS at Blacksburg High for your continued support of the event,¨ said Farrar.