Black Panther Scores High Ratings From Critics

On Thursday, February 15, a landmark film will hit the theatres. This movie is Black Panther, an installment of the Marvel franchise that tells the story of T’Challa, the rightful king of the African nation Wakanda. Critics have been leaving rave reviews of the movie, and some are even calling it the best Marvel movie ever.

Black Panther will be one of the first major superhero movies to feature a predominately African-American cast. In fact, there are only two white actors in the film. This is revolutionary, as very few movies have had a majority-black cast, not to mention the huge platform that Black Panther will have.

“I’m so excited for the movie,” said Melody Scales, junior. “It’s definitely going to be different from what I usually get to see in the theatres.”

As well as the groundbreaking aspect of the film, critics are having a field day reviewing it. As of Monday, February 12, Black Panther has a 97% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, the highest ever rating for all Marvel movies. Some critics are even saying “Black Panther has surpassed Iron Man as the best film of the MCU (Marvel Comics Universe).”

Not all of the reviews are good, however. One independent Irish critic by the name of Ed Power said that the film was dull and uninspiring, saying that “What [T’Challa] doesn’t get to do much of is jump around beating up bad guys.” This negative review, which tarnished the movie’s perfect score on Rotten Tomatoes, received plenty of harsh criticism itself from other critics and non-critics alike.

I don’t like Birdman because I found out via Instagram that it is an ex-boyfriend’s favorite movie, and this guy’s reasoning about #BlackPanther is dumber than that,” said Twitter user Carrie Wittmer (@carriesnotscary).

“I get that some people might not like the movie and that’s fine; I don’t even know if I will like it yet,” said Henry Carman, junior. “But saying that it’s a bad movie because he doesn’t get to ‘jump around beating up bad guys’ as much as you’d like is a really childish reason.”

If you want to see Black Panther on opening weekend, chances are that you’ll have to either wait in line, pre order tickets, or both. The pre-sale of tickets actually broke a record for the fastest selling Marvel movie, outpacing Captain America: Civil War. So stock up on popcorn, wear some comfortable clothes, and get ready for two hours of excitement.