Theatre Students Take Field Trip to New York City

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo by Chris Wertz

Photo by Chris Wertz

Photo by Chris Wertz

Last week, the theatre, choir, and art students went to New York City. This year, the students saw several Broadway shows, worked with a Broadway cast, and learned how to get to Broadway.

The New York trip is usually taken every other year. The students would go on a Florida Choir trip on the off year. However,  the Florida trip was canceled this year. As an alternative, the teachers and administration decided to take the New York trip again this year.

The students got to see three Broadway performances: “Once on This Island,” “The Waitress,” and “Mean Girls.” These productions are new to the Broadway Theatre and were based on well-known movies or plays. The students watched these shows to gain insight into technical and performance theatre and learned professional performing arts skills.

In order to learn about Broadway itself, the students worked directly with the cast of “Mean Girls.” The cast talked to the students about how to get to Broadway, what it takes to be a professional, and what happens in order to get the show to the stage. “Mean Girls” cast member, Brendon Stimson, taught the group how to dance to the song “We Are All Stars.”

When the classes were not watching the performances or learning from the cast, they toured New York City. The students were put into smaller groups that explored different parts of the city such as Central Park, a variety of memorials, and a Gucci Store.

“This is the first and only year that I’ve gone on the trip.  It was very insightful about city life and how New York is run. Unlike Blacksburg, New York City is very high paced. I had a lot of fun roaming the city with my friends,” said Ethan Fisher, Senior.

“It was a great opportunity to go this year. I went last year, and it inspired me to get further into the theatre program. It helped me contribute to teaching kids about theatre and to understand the passion that the actors put into their jobs. In order to make it on Broadway, you have to go for it,” said Aayush Patodiya, sophomore.