Prices Fork Elementary School Hosts Harvest Festival

Dory Gilmer 9front) and Hannah Jirsa (back) help set up decorations

Photo by Whitney Welbaum

Photo by Whitney Welbaum

As leaves begin to fall and temperatures drop, Blacksburg’s elementary schools host their annual fall festivals.  Prices Fork Elementary School (PFES) held their Harvest Festival for the school’s families on October 19. The event was run by the PFES PTA President, Julie Fox, and had volunteers from various organizations, including BHS National Honors Society.

The festivities took place inside the school’s cafeteria, hallways, and classrooms.  Activities included a Halloween-themed games section and a chili cook off.

The games section was held in the gym and included a number of creatively named activities such as ghost bowling and a spooky climbing wall. Two volunteers were assigned to work each game.

“I thought the kids really enjoyed all the festivities and helping with the activities was overall a very rewarding experience,” said Amanda Edwards, Senior, an NHS volunteer at the event.

The chili cook off provided free samples of chili and mac and cheese to families at the event. Hotdogs and hamburgers were also provided by Hethwood Market for purchase if families wanted to grab dinner at the event.      

The winner of the chili cook off was the “award winning beef chili”, which had mushrooms and ground beef. Contestants entered their dishes into three categories: vegetarian, meat-based, or mac and cheese.  A lunch lady from the elementary school served as the judge for the cook off. Samples were offered to the general public after judging.

“It’s always fun to help with activities like these; you always leave feeling accomplished for helping out your community,” said Elizabeth Ferguson, Senior, who helped portion out chili samples.

Overall, the event was successful. Costumed families crowded the festival and everyone had smiles on their faces.

“I can’t say thank you enough to the volunteers for the time and energy they put into helping our Price’s Fork Elementary community tonight,” said Fox.