Two New York Detectives Charged With Rape and Kidnapping of 18-Year-Old Woman

On Monday, October 30, two New York detectives, Edward Martins and Richard Hall, were charged with raping a handcuffed an 18-year-old woman in the backseat of their police van in Coney Island, New York.

The incident happened on September 15, when Martins and Hall left their post without authorization. They drove to Calvert Vaux Park in Brooklyn and stopped a car driven by an 18-year-old woman with two male passengers. The woman was arrested and handcuffed for driving under the influence of narcotics. The male passengers were told to pick her up after the detectives brought her to the station.

Once the woman was in the car, Martins described himself and Hall as “freaks” and asked her what she would be willing to do to get out of the arrest. This led to Martins raping the woman in the backseat, while Hall watched from the rearview mirror.

Afterwards, they stopped the van in Bay Ridge and switched places. Hall then forced the woman to perform a sex act on him. Once they were finished, Hall and Martins drove back to the precinct with the woman, telling her to “keep her mouth shut.” The young woman went to Maimonides Medical Center and underwent a sexual assault exam. The DNA found on the woman matched what they found on both detectives.

Martins and Hall were arraigned Monday for a total of fifty charges, according to CNN. These charges included first-degree rape, first-degree criminal sexual act and second-degree kidnapping. Both of the detectives pleaded not guilty, with Martins being released on $250,000 bail and Hall being released on $150,000. If convicted, both men could face 25 years in prison. They are currently suspended without pay, according to the NYPD.

The district attorney for Kings County described the allegations as a “flagrant betrayal of public trust,” and plans to “seek to hold them accountable for this flagrant betrayal of public trust.” The attorney for the victim, Michael David, thought the length of six weeks to charge the two NYPD detectives was “outrageous,” and he felt that the low bail did not match the brutal rape and kidnapping that the perpetrators were charged with. The woman has been in a state of depression and an “emotional wreck,” according to David. She was planning on attending college, but these plans are postponed due to the recent events.  However, the attorney for Martins, Mark Bederow, believed that the detective was “entitled to the same presumption of innocence as anyone else,” and doesn’t “believe that the credible evidence will support the claim that any rape or sexual assault occurred.”

“This is bad. The police are meant to protect and hurt any civilians,” said Swastik Acharya, Senior.

“These are awful situations, but it does not mean that every police officer abuses their authority. There are some that are still good,” said Michael Tsang, Senior.

The rape of the 18-year-old girl by the NYPD detectives ties into the recent issues of sex crime perpetrated by people of power. In politics, Anthony Weiner and Donald Trump have faced numerous allegations. The Hollywood business has been affected fairly recently with the allegations against Harvey Weinstein, Kevin Spacey and Brett Ratner. Along with this recent issue of misuse of police authority, it goes to show how power can be wielded to take advantage of innocent people.