Kevin Spacey Accused of Sexually Assaulting Anthony Rapp

Following a series of accusations of sexual assault in Hollywood known as the “Weinstein effect,” actor Anthony Rapp came forward with his own story. In an interview with Buzzfeed on October 29, Rapp claimed that fellow actor, Kevin Spacey, made unwanted sexual advances on him at a party when he was only 14 years old.

Rapp described the incident in vivid detail throughout the interview, explaining that at the time he was “aware that he was trying to get with me sexually” and that “it was a frozen moment.” Rapp claimed that he was able to squirm away and leave the apartment before Spacey could assault him further.

While Buzzfeed was unable to reach representatives for Spacey through multiple calls, emails, and letters concerning the allegations, Spacey responded via Twitter a day after the interview was published. His response spurred mixed reactions from all sides.

In the Twitter post, Spacey apologized, though he claimed that he was drunk at the time and did not remember the incident that occurred 30 years ago. In the same post, Spacey goes on to say that “this story has encouraged me to address other things about my life” and then consequently came out to the public, saying that “I now choose to live as a gay man.”

The initial response to the claim was shock and surprise, as news sources such as ABC focused more on the Oscar-winning actor’s revealed sexuality instead of the claims of his sexual assault. However, many other famous actors and news sources began to criticize Spacey for his poor timing and alleged attempt at diversion.

“No no no no no! You do not get to ‘choose’ to hide under the rainbow,” said Wanda Sykes over Twitter. Sykes, a famous comedian and a well-known member of the LGBTQ+ community, was one among many voices who criticized Spacey’s decision.

“I think that it’s disgusting that Kevin Spacey would try to deflect the accusations by coming out,” said an anonymous junior. “That’s not just bad timing–it’s dangerous for people in the LGBT community, too. Associating homosexuality with predatory behavior has been and always will be a problem, and a lot of LGBT people, including myself, are going to have to be even more careful about coming out after somebody like Kevin Spacey tied those two things together.”

Since Rapp’s allegations, at least 10 other people have come forward about Spacey’s history of sexual assault. A Buzzfeed article claimed that three more men–one of which was a minor at the time–had been assaulted by Spacey in the past. Harry Dreyfuss, son of famous actor Richard Dreyfuss, also accused Spacey of sexually assaulting him, as did many members of the “House of Cards” cast.

Following the accusations, Netflix made the decision to end Spacey’s involvement in the series “House of Cards,” one of Spacey’s most well-known roles, and cut ties with him altogether. Netflix also announced that the upcoming film “Gore,” featuring Spacey, would no longer be released.