Florida Woman Kills Her Cousin By Sitting on Her

Veronica Green Posey, 64, was arrested in Pensacola, Florida, for allegedly sitting on and killing her 9-year old cousin as a punishment. She has been charged with homicide and cruelty to a child.

Police and paramedics rushed to the Pensacola home in response to a 911 call on Saturday, October 14. Posey told the police that she had sat on her 9-year old cousin, Dericka Lindsay, as a punishment because Lindsay was being “out of control.”

According the the police report, during this estranged “punishment,” Lindsay told Posey and two other adults, identified as Lindsay’s parents, that she could not breath. When Posey got off of Lindsay, she was not breathing. Posey then called 911 and attempted CPR on Lindsay.

The 325-pound Posey had also struck Lindsay with a ruler and a metal pipe before sitting on her, according to Posey’s niece, Grace Smith.

Blacksburg High School Students have varying opinions on how children should be punished, but a common theme seems to be that killing the child is crossing the line. Most think that violence is not the answer, while some think that a belt to the backside is an appropriate disciplinary action.

“That’s messed up. Don’t punish your kids by sitting on them until they die. Perhaps a better method [of punishment] would be taking away their phone or Xbox,” said Sam Sterling, junior. “Death seems too far in my opinion.”

“There is no worse way to punish a kid than acting with violence, us as a society need to find better ways to discipline our youth,” said Ben Carroll, junior.

Others felt that a physical punishment is often necessary in small doses.

“The belt is the ultimate liberator,” said an anonymous sophomore at Blacksburg.

Lindsay’s parents, Grace Smith and James Smith, have both been charged with child neglect.

According to James Smith, Posey had been sitting on top of Lindsay for approximately 10 minutes before she expressed that she could not breath. Posey then stayed on top of Lindsay for an additional two minutes before getting off of her.

“As the family has a prior interaction with the child welfare system, a thorough quality assurance review will be conducted to review all prior interactions this family has had with the child welfare system,” said Mike Carroll, secretary of The Florida Department of Children and Families, adding that the death is “appalling” and that the department will cooperate with the police to make sure that all of those affiliated with the case will be held responsible.

Posey and the Smiths were taken into custody at the Escambia County Jail after the incident. Posey was released on Monday, October 16, with a $125,000 bail. Both of the Smiths will remain in jail, with bails in between $50,000 and $75,000.