NHS Spring Rummage Sale

Back to Article
Back to Article

NHS Spring Rummage Sale

BHS National Honor Society (NHS) will follow up their first event of the year, Bruin Fest, with a rummage sale, another brand new event at the school.  

The NHS Spring Rummage Sale was created by the 2018-2019 officer team in order to fundraise for the NHS Blacksburg Legacy Scholarship.  The scholarship is given out to two graduating seniors every year to support them in continuing a post-secondary education. Any senior can apply for this scholarship through the New River Community Foundation; they don’t necessarily need to be an NHS member.  

“The 2015-2016 officers approached us sponsors about creating the scholarship because they really wanted to make a lasting impact on our school.  We began working with the Community Foundation and they gave us five years to raise money for the endowment,” said Katherine Lynde, BHS English teacher and NHS sponsor.

NHS is the only organization at the school to support an endowed scholarship.  Currently, the chapter is only a couple thousand dollars away from fully endowing the scholarship so it can become self-perpetuating.  

“We’ve been very motivated to finish endowing the scholarship this year, even though there are technically a couple years left to do so.  Organizing the rummage sale has been a whole lot of work but we hope it pays off,” said Stephen Case, Senior and NHS co-historian.

The NHS officer team began planning for the rummage sale back in December.  Throughout the past couple months, they have been accumulating donations at various drop-off dates and locations at the school and in the local community.  The sale will feature various items, including clothing, electronics, and furniture.

In addition to selling donated items, NHS will also host a raffle and concession stand.  Raffle prizes feature gift cards and merchandise from businesses such as McAlister’s and Tropical Smoothie.  Our Daily Bread has also committed to donating baked goods for NHS to sell during the event.

“Our chapter would like to thank those who have contributed to our rummage sale.  We have been surprised and thrilled by the generosity shown by the residents and businesses of Blacksburg and Christiansburg,” said Madeline Deck, Senior and NHS co-vice president.

The NHS Spring Rummage Sale will be held in the BHS gym on April 6 from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.  Additionally, NHS is hosting one final drop off date on April 5 from 5:00-7:00 p.m. at the community entrance of the school.  Readers interested in learning more about Blacksburg NHS or the Spring Rummage Sale can visit www.nhsblacksburg.com.