International Foods at BHS

Fairy+Bread
Back to Article
Back to Article

International Foods at BHS

Fairy Bread

Fairy Bread

Photo via Wikimedia Commons under Creative Commons license

Fairy Bread

Fairy Bread

BHS is home to many students from different countries and cultures around the world. From our diverse student body, students here have the opportunity to learn about the culture of different countries in depth. In particular, students and teachers are given the chance to experience international food. Because of the United State’s history, many Americans grow up with a palate that has experienced foods from around the world with an American twist.

The diversity of American food is seen in Blacksburg at the various restaurants. These places have been inspired by foods from around the world. A few examples of these restaurants are, Green’s Grill and Sushi Bar, Kabuki Japanese Steak House, Zeppoli’s Restaurant and Wine Shop, and Spicity. These restaurants have created menus that suit their American customers while still keeping the international influence.

The eclectic student body provides people with opportunities to learn about food and the cultures they represent. The various exchange programs, student trips, and festival days offered by the foreign language, English, and history departments, enhance the opportunities for students and teachers to learn about other food cultures. Some of these opportunities include food days, club days, and bruin fest.

Students who take German are given the option to take part in the German American Patiship Program (GAPP) every two years. This program gives students the chance to travel to Germany and live with a German family for two weeks. These students are immersed in a European culture and get to experience new foods.

“I loved the experience of trying new foods when I traveled to Germany because of its authenticity. I also enjoyed when my partner came and stayed with us so we got to show her some of the classic American experiences,” said Eva Moeltner, junior.

In addition to trips and cultural activities offered, the culinary department offers opportunities for students to learn how to cook from a basic level to an experienced level. These kids get to practice cooking a wide range of food with a specific unit focused on international dishes.

According to Mrs. Bowls, the culinary teacher, the culinary class will study international food in the spring.

Families with different cultures also have the chance to experience American food and compare it to their own. Oftentimes these families enjoy the diversity of the food culture here but miss the originality of their own as it is often hard to find the traditional ingredients for their recipes.      

“One of the main things I miss from home is bobotie; this is turmeric rice, sultanas, and mince with spices and yogurt on top. It is cooked in the oven, and my family used to eat it constantly. Personally, one of the things I enjoy about the United States is food here is universal and you have a little from every country,” said James Wallace, sophomore and formally from South Africa.

To experience the authentic flavors from around the world, students have provided favorite dishes and suggested recipes. These are simple and easy to follow, and they provide a great opportunity for students to experience new flavors full of exotic spices.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/bobotie-231245
Reprinted with permission from Rainbow Cuisine: A Culinary Journey Through South Africa by Lannice Snyman ©1998 S&S Publishers

Fairy Bread– Simple Australian snack:

Spread butter onto slices of white bread.

Cover with sprinkles.

Cut into triangles to serve.

https://www.foodinaminute.co.nz/Recipes/Anzac-Biscuits