Yordano Ventura Dies

On Sunday, January 22, baseball pitcher Yordano Ventura was killed in a car accident in his native Dominican Republic. He was 25.

After the news of his death broke, the Royals lowered the flag outside their stadium to half-mast, and they also put his picture up on the scoreboard inside the stadium. Players, coaches, and teams sent out their thoughts and prayers to Ventura’s family and the Royals organization.

Ventura, who played for the Kansas City Royals, was killed when he lost control of his car on a mountain road and crashed. According to multiple reports, Ventura was not wearing a seatbelt, which led to him being thrown from his vehicle, resulting in his death. There was no alcohol found at the scene of his death, but it is currently unknown if Ventura was drinking prior to entering the car.

Ventura was born and grew up in the Dominican Republic. He quit school at age 14 to be a construction worker. While working there, he heard about a major league baseball tryout. He tried out, and he performed well enough that he signed with the Royals in 2008.

He made his MLB debut with the Royals at the end of 2013. In 2014, his best season in the majors, Ventura led the team to the World Series, where they lost to the San Francisco Giants. The next season he helped lead Kansas City back to the World Series, and they beat the New York Mets. In 2016, he pitched in the most games of his career but struggled with his control and walked the seventh-most batters in the entire MLB.

After the news of his death broke, players, coaches, and teams sent out their thoughts and prayers to Ventura’s family and the Royals organization.

Ventura had a fiery temper when he pitched. In an ESPN article posted in April 2015, writer Jerry Crasnick said that Ventura was a hothead and that he needed to try to calm down. Over the course of his four year career he repeatedly threw at opposing batters and sparked numerous brawls. Despite this, he was well-liked by his teammates and the Royals organization.

“This group of guys is truly remarkable. We all truly care about each other. We have a unique bond , and I think we’re seeing that now as we mourn the loss of one of our brothers,” said Royals pitcher Chris Young in an interview with the team’s website.