Know more about Sexual Violence Awareness Week

One in five girls have been sexually assaulted at school and it has gone unnoticed, 58% of 7th- 12th graders experience sexual harassment, and one in eight high school girls have been raped. The list goes on.  Blacksburg High School is not immune to these statistics. That is why the week of January sixth through the eighth will be “kNOw more” awareness week at BHS. “We want to inform everyone of these occurrences and prevent them from happening in the future.” said, Jane Chadwick, Senior.  Here’s is an agenda for the week:  

January sixth:

• Fact sheets will be handed out throughout the school day to raise awareness of these problems that go unnoticed in high schools
  • Donation jars will be set out at lunch

January seventh:

• Anonymous surveys will be taken in english classes concerning the topic

January eighth:

• White out day at school and white out theme for the basketball game
  • A showing of the film “The Mask We Line In” will be shown at Five PM before the basketball game
  • There will be donation jars at the movie and basketball game and all proceeds will be sent to the National Sexual Violence Resource Center

Extra credit for senior government and english classes will be given for attending the movie showing. This event isn’t just for extra credit though, make sure to come out and raise awareness for this important cause. “We decided to do this project because we are aware of multiple sexual assault cases in BHS that go unnoticed.” said Leah Hendershot, Senior. Check social media as well and spread the news with friends to help put an end to sexual violence in high schools.